A lot of students are struggling to choose between going to a traditional school or getting their education from a virtual classroom. In the past, virtual schools became the answer for those in remote and provincial areas who find it hard to complete the year 7 milestones. Apparently, logistics became a real hindrance when it comes to completing an education. Fortunately, technology has an answer to that problem.
But after years of implementation, a lot of schools have opted to expand online learning and let it integrate into their curriculum. This is why a lot of students now have this as an option to learn. Major colleges and universities now have online versions of important courses. Students now have the freedom to skip learning in a traditional classroom and instead, learn from an online course.
But the question is, how will you know which of the two is okay? What makes a virtual classroom better than the traditional way of learning?
Reason why you should choose traditional learning
Here are three important reasons that you should opt for the traditional classroom over the online counterpart.
- Your senses are more involved. When you learn together with a group and with an actual instructor in front, more of your senses are utilized. You get to listen, not just with the instructor, but also to your fellow learners. Of course, some online courses have this option – but is it not always available. There is a particular appeal in face-to-face learning that is not possible with online classrooms. When you have a question, you can raise your concern and be answered immediately. Again, this is possible online but it is not always an available option.
- You get hands-on experience. The truth is, technology has already made it possible to practice what you learned online through simulations and gamification. However, it is not the same as the actual thing. A hands-on version online is risk-free. When you do it in real life, you get to be more cautious because the risk is still there. Not only that, going through the actual motions can sometimes make the learning more memorable. Of course, we have wait until Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality reaches their full potential – this might no longer be a concern. But before then, this type of learning is best in a traditional classroom.
- Your recognition is heightened when getting a job. Unfortunately, not all employers trust the quality of learning done in a virtual classroom. This is slowly being corrected, of course. But still, it has to be said that they still prefer the hard work that comes with going to a traditional classroom.
Benefits of learning through a virtual classroom
Now that we have discussed the benefits of learning the traditional way, let us dwell on the instances when a virtual classroom makes more sense.
- You get a more flexibility. This is probably the main reason why students opt for this type of learning. It is more flexible. You can study anytime and anywhere. And when it is flexible, it is also quite convenient. It is not just those in remote areas that can benefit from learning through a virtual classroom. People who have a full-time job can also start learning because of the convenience.
- You can save a lot of money. Generally, online courses are cheaper compared to classes that you can take in actual colleges and universities. Not only that, there are some areas where you will save money. For one, you do not need to pay for transportation in order to go to school. You do not have to dress up – so there is no pressure to buy new clothes. There are just so many little costs here and there that you do not have to spend on. When you add it up, the savings can be quite significant.
- You get to enjoy technological advancements. Obviously, any technological developments will manifest online first. This is a huge advantage for virtual classrooms. If there is a new software, you get to enjoy that before traditional classrooms can think of a way to integrate it into the lesson.
Now that you know the advantages of choosing a traditional and virtual classroom, do you think you can make a smart choice between the two?